Things to say to someone experiencing grief
People often wonder and ask questions like What to say to someone who is grieving? As a concerned family member, relative, or friend, we care for the grieving person and understand their pain, but it may get difficult for us to express the same.
The first thing for you to understand is that there is no right answer to this question. What works in one situation may not work in another. When it comes to comforting or supporting a grieving person, many factors can affect the words you use. This includes the timing, moment, situation, the relationship you have with the person in grief, and much more.
With experience, here are some of the things to say that might help the grieving person. Remember that the way you say and the tone also makes a huge difference. Stay calm and supportive.
- I am so sorry for your loss
- It’s okay to feel this way
- Tell me more about your mother, father, brother, friend…
- Your dad was a wonderful man
- If you want to talk, I am here
- She will always be with you
- My favourite memory of your loved one is…
- I’ll drop by tomorrow with some food
- I know it is hard to be strong right now
- It is okay to miss them it just means you loved them with all your heart
- You don’t have to talk. I’ll stay beside you.
- He was a special kid
- She/he really loved you a lot
- You’re not alone. All of us are here for you.
- There was no good reason for this to happen
- You’ve been a good daughter to her
- You are in my prayers
Along with these kinds of words, remember that physical touch and support can mean a lot. Sit beside the grieving person. If you are not sure what to say in the situation, just give them a hug or a hand on the shoulder. Listen to them cry or talk without saying anything. This can convey a lot from your side.
To managerially help them in such tough times, help them arrange a dignified funeral service for their lost loved one. You can even take assistance from funeral services so that you can be there to support the mourning family.
Read Also:-【What do】You Wear to a Celebration of Life Event?