The Human Body is the only thing that keeps us going in our life. In this complex machine, millions of processes take place every second that works together to keep us alive and healthy. While we may have the fundamental knowledge about its functions and abilities, many facts exist which are fascinating and not known by many.
Here are some lesser-known facts about the human body:
- Though it may seem odd, humans are the only animals that have chins. Even our closest genetic cousins, chimpanzees and gorillas, lack chins.
- When one is breathing, most of the air goes in and out of only one nostril. After a few hours, the work shifts to the other nostril.
- Our body produces a glimmer of light that is too weak for the human eye to detect. It is thought to be a byproduct of biochemical reactions.
- The human body sheds approx 3.6 kilograms of dead skin every year, which ultimately settles like dust in our home.
- The region of the brain that manages smell and memories are intertwined. Hence smell may trigger a long-forgotten event or experience.
- You are going to be approximately 1/2 cm taller in the morning than at night. This happens because the cartilage in your bones compresses during the day.
- Skin is the largest organ of the body, and it can comprise 15% of a human’s body weight.
- The stomach lining also turns red when you blush. It happens because the sympathetic nervous system causes increased blood flow throughout the body.
- In the human body, the only part that cannot repair itself are teeth.
- The left lung is approximately 10 % smaller than the right lung as it shares space in the left side of the chest with the heart.
- The mouth produces between 0.5-1.5 liters of saliva each day.
- The sound of cracking your knuckles is nitrogen bubbles bursting in the synovial fluid.
- Just like our fingerprints, every person has a unique tongue print.
- The smallest finger on your hand, also known as the pinky finger provides 50% of our hand strength.
- A smile uses 17 muscles while a frown makes use of 43 muscles! So always choose to smile. 🙂